14 March 2011

Hello, and welcome to movie phone.

About a week ago or so, I was having dinner with some family and we were talking about movies.  My Dad had mentioned that he had seen a list online of the top 10 Guy movies of all time.  Now, this was obviously an unofficial list, just some random guys take on the subject.  Naturally, he couldn't remember the entire list, however it did spark a discussion at the table.  Pretty soon the question was thrown to me as to what my top 10 movies would look like.  My response was that this was not going to be a question that I would be able to answer on the spot.  Movies are organic.  The meanings of some movies change depending on the period of your life that you watch them in.  Some movies have more watchability than others, meaning that I can watch them over and over again.  Take The Sixth Sense for example.  When I watched it in the theater when it originally came out, I thought it was excellent.  Very well done.  I was definitely compelled to watch it over again to see the movie in a new light, and see what I missed the first time around.  After the second time though, that was it.  I believe that since the movie came out in 1999, those are the only two times I have ever watched it.  I just don't feel as though I would be entertained watching it again, even 12 years later.

With that said, here's a list of my top 10 favorite movies, and outside of the top 3 the rest are in no particular order.

1) Fight Club (1999) - This has been my favorite movie since the day I walked out of the theater the first time I saw it.  There was something about this movie that really blew me away.  The story, the characters, and even David Fincher's direction left me in awe.  Clear cut number one in my book.

2) Inception (2010) - It had been 11 years since Fight Club was crowned my favorite movie of all time and Inception was the first to really give it a run for the money.  The idea was one that I had never seen, coupled with tremendous visual effects and extremely likable characters across the board.

3) The Bourne Trilogy (2002-2007) - Absolute non stop, kick ass action that I could watch any given time on any given day.  I am actually holding out hope that they find a way to make a fourth installment.

4) The Dark Knight (2008) - It's Batman finally done right.  Well, Batman Begins was entertaining too, but this effort went far and beyond.

5) The Usual Suspects (1995) - There is something to say about how a story is told.  I've got news for you...even I'm afraid of Keyser Soze.

6) The Count of Monte Cristo (2002) - It wasn't flashy and it didn't win any awards, but it's a movie that I almost always watch when I am at home with a cold or something.  Always entertaining for me.

7) The Matrix (1999) - I was left in awe by the special effects when I watched the movie for the first time.  11 years later, I still find myself attracted to the story and genuinely entertained every time I watch it.

8) Heat (1995) - I have always liked this movie.  There's no mystery, no deeper meaning, just straight good guys vs bad guys... and you can't help but root for the bad guys.

9) Office Space (1999) - I have never worked in a cubicle, but find myself quoting this movie again and again.  Classic.

10) Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels (1998) - This was the first of two very similar movies done by Guy Ritchie.  Snatch. was the second.  Oddly enough, it wasn't until I watched Snatch. that I went back and watched Lock, Stock.  I suppose it could have been a toss up as to which of the two movies made it into my top 10, but more often than not, given the choice of the two I would undoubtedly choose this one.  Very well done.

So there it is.  I feel like I could have made a top 40 and still left some out.  I guess honorable mentions would have to go to: The Hangover, Gladiator, Indiana Jones, Star Wars (episodes 4-6), Se7en, and Sideways.

That's all for right now, I'll check back in later.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment